TRAINING PLACEMENTS AT THE ARRHYTHMIA UNIT CLÍNICO SAN CARLOS HOSPITAL – MADRID – SPAIN
The Arrhythmia Unit at Clínico San Carlos Hospital, Madrid, associated with the Complutense University of Madrid, is fostering its spirit of teaching and research by offering clinicians the opportunity to become specialized at a centre of technological and clinical excellence in cardiac arrhythmias.
In order for us to be able to respond to the high volume of applications, please find below comprehensive information about our training placements.
- Be a centre of reference for training in Interventional Cardiac Arrythmology.
- Host cardiologists looking to become highly specialized in the diagnosis and treatment of arrhythmias, with a special interest in atrial fibrillation and ventricular tachycardias.
- Provide MIR training and specialist rotations for centres lacking the devices and technology to provide specialist training in cardiac arrhythmias.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Acquire the necessary skills for clinical procedures such as the implantation of pacemakers, cardioverter defibrillators and cardiac resynchronization devices.
- For the above, we have the major navigators currently on the market and use echocardiography techniques. We also have room with a remote navigation system.
- The training is all hands-on, during the placement there will be no master classes or lectures. The objective is to become part of the Unit by participating in its daily activity: meetings, clinics, implantable device checks, patient reviews and assessments, etc.
- The training also includes the completion of research projects with your own method development and presentation of results at various congresses, as well as participation in training courses that our Unit regularly imparts.
LONG PLACEMENTS: TWO YEARS
During the first 6-8 months the trainee will be progressively involved in electrophysiological studies and ablation procedures, depending on skill level, and will progressively refine their knowledge in cardiac pacing.
Following on from basic training, the second phase of practical training will be scheduled to begin, meaning full and active involvement in the Arrhythmia Unit and the research projects and training that take place within it, always under the direction and supervision of superiors.
The trainees who wish to obtain an official qualification can sign up for the Máster Teórico-Práctico en Arritmología Clínica y Básica (Theoretical-Practical Master’s in Basic and Clinical Arrhythmology) issued by the Complutense University of Madrid. Pre-registration for the Master’s takes place in April/May.
DURATION AND SCHEDULE
The placements are designed for a period of two years. If you request a shorter placement you should explain the reason why and indicate how long you wish to remain at the Unit.
The schedule is from approximately 08:00 to 15:00.
A degree in Cardiology. The degree should be homologated if it has been obtained outside of Spain.
Minimum 6 months’ experience in Electrophysiology.
It is essential to attach an up-to-date CV with a photograph.
VISAS FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAINEES
In Spain, the Ministry of Health only accepts placements of 6 months extendable to 1 year if you are coming as a visiting doctor. For those who cannot obtain a 2-year visa, there is the option of obtaining a student visa, by signing up for the Complutense University of Madrid’s Máster Teórico-Práctico en Arritmología Clínica y Básica (Theoretical-Practical Master’s in Basic and Clinical Arrhythmology), and applying for a visa through the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport (www.mecd.gob.es), which grants a visa for the entire period of study. The Master’s is a degree from the Complutense University of Madrid and therefore has official validity. The preregistration on the Master’s takes place online in April/May. The enrolment can be online or in person at the University on the first day of the course.
The Arrhythmia Unit does not provide subsidies or grants, nor does it reimburse any part of the placement.
All costs associated with relocation, accommodation and enrolment where applicable will be covered by the trainee.
The hospital’s Teaching Committee will certify the trainee’s placement on completion.
Trainees who wish to obtain a qualification in Electrophysiology can sign up for the Complutense University of Madrid’s Máster Teórico-Práctico en Arritmología Clínica y Básica (Theoretical-Practical Master’s in Basic and Clinical Arrhythmology)
Once your application has been submitted the Arrhythmia Unit will proceed to review it and check availability of places.
MODIFICATION OF START DATE
If, after being accepted, the trainee requests a change in the scheduled start date, the Arrhythmia Unit cannot guarantee that a place will be available for the new dates requested.
To request a change in start date you should access your application using the user name and password provided to you on registration.
PLACEMENTS OF LESS THAN 6 MONTHS FOR VISITING DOCTORS
Visiting doctors who wish to complete training placements of less than 6 months and residents from other hospitals should submit their application through the Teaching Committee of the Clínico San Carlos Hospital.
In these cases, if they are accepted, they will be incorporated into the usual activity of the Arrhythmia Unit.
For more information click on the following link: Comisión de Docencia (Teaching Committee)
Documents presented to the committee that are issued in a foreign language by the relevant authorities of the trainee’s home country should be accompanied by their translation in Spanish (this translation is exempt from the need for legalization). Consult information on translation and legalization of foreign public documents.
Once the Teaching Committee informs the Arrhythmia Unit of an application, it will be reviewed and, after checking availability of places, we will respond to the Teaching Committee, who will notify the applicant of the decision regarding their placement.